New York, NY
The Vice President will support rating activities of the ABS group in New York and Stamford, CT. The ABS group is responsible for rating and monitoring bonds and bank credit facilities secured by autos, credit cards, equipment loans and leases, structured settlements, student loans, unsecured consumer loans, small business loans, auto fleet lease, media financings and clean energy/energy efficiency loans (among others). The position will be central to the team’s ability to manage increasing rating responsibilities while continuing to “get the rating right.” The Vice President will work closely with, and under the direction of, a Senior Vice President or a Managing Director responsible for several consumer, commercial and esoteric asset classes. The Vice President will manage the day-to-day deal responsibilities.
- Spearheading the analysis of historical performance, collateral mix and other relevant analytical inputs for the collateral pools ranging from esoteric (e.g., whole business, cell tower, PACE) to more traditional (e.g., auto loans, equipment finance) ABS;
- Reviewing deal documentation and term sheets and assessing the potential impact on the results of the quantitative analysis, as well as considering qualitative effects of the transaction’s structural features on potential rating for a transaction.
- Guiding junior analyst working on a transaction and ensuring high quality and consistency of their work product;
- Facilitating communication with the cash flow analytical team within DBRS Morningstar in order to ensure the consistency and accuracy of application of the cash flow engines, tools and predictive models (as applicable), as well as the correct reflection of analytical considerations and transaction terms in the cash flow scenarios run for a transaction.
- Presenting analytical observations and conclusions at the rating committees, analytical discussions and other similar events;
- Contributing to the review of existing and the development of new rating methodologies and conducting periodic ABS sector reviews.
- Maintaining client relationships and ensuring seamless communication between DBRS Morningstar and the client as well as other third parties involved in a transaction;
- Facilitating internal communications with other relevant groups within DBRS Morningstar (e.g., Operational Risk, Financial Institutions) to ensure the timely progress of analytical process;
- Taking primary responsibility in authoring rating reports, internal memos, ABS sector reviews and other research papers; and
- Responding to client and investor inquiries, participating in preparation of and presenting at webinars, industry conference speaking invitations and other forms of communication by DBRS Morningstar with market participants.
- Bachelor’s degree and MBA (preferred) in finance or accounting;
- High proficiency in Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Five to ten years of experience structuring ABS transactions at an investment bank, analyzing ABS transactions at a buy-side investment fund and/or rating ABS transactions at a rating agency;
- Proven track record of executing transactions by interacting with transaction parties including: issuers, bankers, investors, lawyers and accountants;
- Strong organizational and deal management skills;
- Strong writing and presentation skills.
How to Apply for a Job at Morningstar
Step 1: When you find a position you’re interested in, click the ‘Apply’ button. Please fill out this form completely, attaching your resume and cover letter in the approved format. Read the job requirements carefully and make sure to attach writing or design samples as required. Applicants must submit their resume and other information through our corporate website to be considered for a job at Morningstar. No phone calls, please.
Step 2: You will receive an email notification to confirm that we’ve received your application.
Step 3: If you are called in for an interview, a representative from Morningstar will contact you to set up a date, time, and location. Be prepared for a rigorous interview process. To make sure you’re a good fit for Morningstar and we’re a good fit for you, we’ll schedule time for you to meet with multiple staff members at all levels of the company. Expect to return for multiple interviews as part of the process. A representative from Morningstar will contact you with the results of your interview—either with a job offer or to let you know our plans for the position.