New York, NY
DBRS Morningstar is a global credit ratings business, currently with 700 employees in eight offices globally. Formed through the July 2019 acquisition of DBRS by Morningstar, Inc., the ratings business is the fourth-largest provider of credit ratings in the world.
DBRS Morningstar is committed to empowering investor success, serving the market through leading-edge technology and raising the bar for the industry. DBRS Morningstar is a market leader in Canada, the U.S. and Europe in multiple asset classes.
DBRS Morningstar rates more than 2,600 issuers and 54,000 securities worldwide and is driven to bringing more clarity, diversity of opinion, and responsiveness to the ratings process. DBRS Morningstar’s approach and size provide the agility to respond to customers’ needs, while being large enough to provide the necessary expertise and resources.
The Real Estate team of DBRS Morningstar is seeking a highly motivated individual with a minimum of eight years of relevant experience in corporate credit analysis, research, or investment banking and a strong understanding of the US real estate sector to join the team in New York as a Vice President.
Working closely with the Managing Director and the other members of the Real Estate group, the successful candidate will be primarily responsible for new coverage (public and private) of the US real estate sector and maintaining existing coverage of US and Canadian real estate mandates. The role involves assessing the creditworthiness of a new and existing portfolio of real estate companies, include: real estate investment trusts, real estate operating companies, and pension plan owned real estate entities..
This position reports to the Managing Director of Real Estate & Public Finance.
– Lead new and/or assume lead coverage of a broad range of real estate entities, including real estate investment trusts.
– Contribute to new and existing rating assignments.
– Perform company and industry research, financial statement analysis, prepare forecasts and assess management strategy to inform rating recommendations.
– Review legal documentation related to credit analysis.
– Prepare rating committee materials and lead rating committee presentations.
– Produce timely, high-quality rating reports, press releases and commentaries on rated entities and industry sector trends.
– Contribute to the development and refinement of existing and new rating methodologies.
– Mentor junior analysts.
– Develop relationships with issuers, investors, intermediaries, and other stakeholders.
– Speak and participate at conferences, including industry and debt capital market events.
– Respond to inquiries from media representatives and investors.
– Adhere to rigorous regulatory requirements and DBRS Morningstar policies and procedures, which include detailed record-keeping, training, and compliance.
– Minimum of eight years of experience in credit, finance and/or banking within the financial services and real estate industries.
– Expert knowledge of US commercial real estate industries and challenges facing companies in different real estate segments and geographies.
– In-depth understanding of legal documentation associated with real estate transactions.
– Strong financial statement analytical abilities with solid knowledge of US GAAP and working knowledge of IFRS accounting as it relates to real estate.
– Strong research skills and attention to detail.
– Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
– Self-starter and team player with demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
– Travel is required.
– Bachelors or Master’s degree in a relevant discipline.
Completion of the CFA program would be considered favorably.
How to Apply for a Job at Morningstar
When you find a position you’re interested in, click the ‘Apply’ button. Please fill out this form completely, attaching your resume and cover letter in the approved format. Read the job requirements carefully and make sure to attach writing or design samples as required. Applicants must submit their resume and other information through our corporate website to be considered for a job at Morningstar. No phone calls, please.
You will receive an email notification to confirm that we’ve received your application.
If you are called in for an interview, a representative from Morningstar will contact you to set up a date, time, and location. Be prepared for a rigorous interview process. To make sure you’re a good fit for Morningstar and we’re a good fit for you, we’ll schedule time for you to meet with multiple staff members at all levels of the company. Expect to return for multiple interviews as part of the process. A representative from Morningstar will contact you with the results of your interview—either with a job offer or to let you know our plans for the position.