MetLife Investment Management: MetLife Investment Management (MIM) is one of the largest institutional investors and asset managers in the world, with over $659 billion in combined managed assets, and has consistently generated superior returns for both clients and shareholders. MIM has more than 900 dedicated professionals globally with extensive experience and expertise across public and private fixed income and private assets, including real estate. Visit us at www.metlife.com/investments to learn more.
Public Fixed Income: MIM manages over $375 billion in public fixed income assets globally. The suite of strategies available in Public Fixed Income includes separately managed accounts and commingled vehicles that provide broad coverage of both the risk spectrum (Enhanced Cash to High Yield) and term structure (Short-term to Long Duration). We offer a bottom up, fundamental approach to public fixed income that is supported by a collaborative investment team process. MIM has a deep and experienced team of over 140 Public Fixed Income investment professionals. Investment decisions are informed by a team-based culture with portfolio managers, research analysts, and traders contributing to idea generation.
The Role: The Director, Asset Backed Securities is responsible for the credit quality and performance of MIM’s $7B ABS assets under management. ABS is a key component of our income-based, short-term and core-based strategies and a source of performance differentiation for these. The Director, Asset Backed Securities, is part of the Structured Products Research senior team, and as such contributes to the development and implementation of our broader cross-sector credit strategy. This role works in partnership with the Structured Products Trading team and with our Portfolio Managers in identifying value-added investment opportunities for our various strategies.
- Reports to: Head of Structured Products Research
- Direct reports/team: 1
- Key Stakeholders: Head of Public Fixed Income, Head of Structured Finance, Trading, Portfolio Managers, Credit Research, Institutional Client Group, peers in other structured products
- Oversee the assessment and approval process for ABS sponsors eligible for MIM investments
- Manage document and credit review of new ABS transactions
- Evaluate new subsectors and recommend subsector allocations
- Collaborate with Trading and PM teams in identifying attractive investment ideas
- Conduct surveillance of ABS AUM and make recommendations on addition/reduction strategies
- Partner with Institutitional Client Group (ICG) to provide expertise on the ABS market, strategy and positioning for prospective and existing clients, as well as in senior management discussions
- Represent MIM in industry forums covering ABS, including trade groups like SFA, SIFMA and ACLI, as well as in panels at industry conferences
- Collaborate with Corporate Credit Research team to synchronize MIM views on cross-market dynamics
- Play a central role in developing ABS portfolio strategies and collaborate with other team leaders and group head in the development and implementation of group-level strategies
- Support MIM’s broader talent development needs and create mentoring relationships across teams and with industry colleagues
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- 10+ years of experience in the structured products market or other relevant industry experience, preferably in buy-side roles
- Strong communicator, capable of synthesizing and presenting complex analytical results in written and verbal communications
- Deep knowledge of the various ABS subsectors, both traditional and esoteric
- Strong analytical skills and proficiency in the use of key analytical tools like Intex, Bloomberg, BlackRock Aladdin, etc
- Strategic thinker; effective operating in a collaborative environment, with solid coaching and mentoring skills
- Undergraduate degree required; MBA (or equivalent) and/or CFA designation strongly preferred
MetLife Success Principles
- Experiment with Confidence – Courageously learn and test new ideas without fear of failure
- Act with Urgency – Demonstrate speed to action with agility and determination
- Seek Diverse Perspectives – Source ideas and feedback to expand thinking and make informed decisions
- Seize Opportunity – Drive responsible growth and identify areas for continuous improvement
- Champion Inclusion – Foster an environment where everyone is valued, heard, and can speak up
- Create Alignment – Partner with others across the organization with candor and transparency
- Take Responsibility – Be accountable and act in pursuit of the right outcomes
- Enable Solutions – Anticipate and address obstacles while managing risk
- Deliver What Matters – Execute meaningful priorities and follow through on commitments
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with $659.6 billion of total assets under management as of December 31, 2020. We are ranked #48 on the Fortune 500 list for 2020. In 2020, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the fifth year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies.
MetLife is committed to building a purpose-driven and inclusive culture that energizes our people. Our employees work every day to help build a more confident future for people around the world. Visit us at www.metlife.com to learn more about our brand, history, and values.
We want to make it simple for all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities with MetLife. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to [email protected] or call our Employee Relations Department at 1-877-843-3711.
MetLife is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at MetLife without regards to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.